Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Day 1 ASB Miami - Ilana Rosenbloom

Dunbar Elementary school is a special place. Despite the difficulties - involving poverty, possibly abusive homes, broken families - that these children are faced with at home, they appear as joyful as any child I've encountered in the comfortable community I was raised in.

As my group and I painted their playground, the fresh colors were personified on the children's faces through looks of excitement and smiling faces. These deserving children seem so appreciative of the work we are doing.

My favorite portions of the day involved the Faces of the Homeless seminar, in which we met and heard the stories of two courageous, previously homeless women, and playing with children in an after-school program. Through both these activities, statistics of poverty and various hardships are given faces and their troubles seem more relateable.

It's hard to believe we have only been here for one day! The next six days are sure to be unpredictable and highly rewarding. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment