Tuesday, March 23, 2010

NYC as Part of the Alternative Break Experience

This is the third morning that we have eaten breakfast at the hostel. Last night people had the option of going to a Matisyahu concert or having free time. My friends and I chose the option of free time and we wandered around New York City. We were walking to find the seaport, and we ran into Ground Zero. A million thoughts ran through my head immediately. I thought of the families that lost loved ones, of the people in the building at the time, and even the people on the streets or in the skyscrapers in close proximity to the World Trade Center. It was very depressing to think that someone could do such a thing to such a large amount of people. To know that there are people in the world who hate us just because we are Americans is excruciatingly upsetting. I wish people could coexist peacefully.

Megan Godwin

University of Oklahoma

No comments:

Post a Comment