Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Zach New York After a Day of Service

This is my second time to go on an alternative spring break, and I can say after my first day of service I know it is going to be just as fun! Waking up early is a drag, having to wait in line for the 2 showers at the hostel that serve an entire floor. After that the day took off, starting out at the Children’s Aid Society, painting murals in the new gymnasium. With over 30 workers, the paining went quickly so we had time to walk across Harlem to PS 50. Zach and I (the Zax) chose to volunteer with the middle school kids from Tuesday to Friday. There is no middle school afterschool program on Monday, so we instructed 4th, 5th and 6th graders in basketball and football.

The crazy unplanned day is actually very fulfilling. Since we didn’t know what we were going to be doing, and didn’t know who we will be volunteering for, the work we are doing became more selfless, according to Mimonedes (sp?). I look forward to the rest of the week.

Zach Moorhead

U. of Oklahoma

No comments:

Post a Comment